There are times when you find yourself in a situation and all you want to do is run. Right now, the urge to run keeps me up at night. How do you get out when you feel stuck in something you want to escape? I have tried meditation, prayer, exercising, and just plain hope. But I still feel lost and frustrated. So how to we deal with this feeling even when we know we are blessed?
1. Always acknowledge how you feel. I write this a lot; but the first step to healing is to identify where you are. It can be painful but if you feel that you are trapped, claiming it is the first step in beginning to take notice of what is keeping you in prison.
2. Remind yourself of what you are grateful for. Showing gratitude is not going to on its own take you out of a dire situation. But it can begin to illuminate or spark hope.
3. Keep in mind that your life can change in a instant. In a moment life can be drastically different than what you are experiencing. You never know when it will change, which is why maintaining hope is needed. But I have personally seen so many people do a complete 360 in their lives in less than a year. If they can do it, so can I, so can you.
4. Make a list of things you want to do. The imagination is such a gift that can really bring you through the darkness. Making plans, having hopes, and dreaming can really ignite undeniable passion. Passion can be the nucleus of hope which in turn inspires change. Whether your dreams come true or not, having them keeps you striving for something better. It can excite you and keep you focus on finding a way out.
5. Get out. Ultimately, if we feel trapped, we have to work to change our situation. It may not be easy or one may not know how. But we must take baby steps in order to move through the journey. Hopefully looking back one day to notice just how far we have come.